With almost 370.000 visits in 2013 (up a whopping 340%), and a wonderful year in all terms, I would like to wish you all the best for the upcoming year. Without you this site wouldn’t be possible. Thanks a lot for following me. Here there’s a quick outlook at 2013 main facts, and my predictions for 2014.
- Even if Fiat doesn’t control the totality of Chrysler shares and European car market keeps struggling, Fiat-Chrysler group can say it had a good year. The group launched several products all over the world and keeps working to join the 2 companies and make use of their strengths.
- The marriage between Fiat and Chrysler, which was supposed to take place this year, had to be postponed due to problems with VEBA. This had a direct impact on European product plan, as the money from Chrysler is a priority to start building new cars in Italy.
- Chrysler results shined thanks to a very healthy American car market. It wasn’t the case for Fiat Group in Europe, where the 500 and Panda’s success couldn’t offset the lack of demand of other models. The 500L helped a lot.
- Things in Brazil were as expected: not as good as previous years. The reason: competition, a tired car market, and the lack of new products. Argentina was the exception with more than 100.000 units sold.
- China had a real start, far away from optimistic forecasts that didn’t consider how difficult it is to make business in China (it is not only a matter of product but also of dealer network). India and Russia had to wait again.
- Alfa Romeo had a tiny relief with the introduction of the fantastic 4C, which is a good start for the coming years. Maserati was born again with a tremendous success that should be an example for other brands of the group.
- During the year the group presented the new Alfa Romeo 4C, the Fiat 500L Living, the new Fiat Ottimo, the Jeep Cherokee, and the Maserati Ghibli and Ferrari LaFerrari.
- One more tought year for the group. Chrysler will continue to have good results in USA (with lower growth rates), but Fiat in Europe will continue to suffer (waiting for better times), while Brazilian situation will get worse. Good news will come from China, where the Viaggio-Ottimo will do better, and the arrival of Jeep will be the hit of the year.
- Fiat-Chrysler alliance should be able to be completed in the first half of the year, and this will have a very positive impact on Fiat Group’s plans in Europe.
- The group will present the new Fiat 500X and Jeep B-SUV. Jeep may show the first renders/concept of the new Compass/Patriot. Chrysler will soon show the all-new 200, that may be presented as a concept in Europe. Alfa Romeo is expected to expand the range of the 4C. Fiat Brazil should launch an updated Uno and some all-new SUVs. Maserati should show the final version of the Levante (even if it is not expected to be available in 2014), while Ferrari could surprise us with the new California.