After weeks of research and requests, I finally completed my annual file with global sales data by make and model. In total I was able to collect information for 152 markets around the world that include the following:
- New vehicle sales down by 2% vs 2021 to 79.4 million units. In 2021: 80.7 million units.
- The decline was the result of challenges to the demand in the world’s 2nd and third largest markets, USA-Canada and Europe, and stalling sales in China. The three of them made up almost 69% of the global total. These challenges were related to the lack of new cars available as a consequence of supply chain problems, lack of semiconductors.
- The results posted by these three markets were big enough not to be offset by positive changes in Latin America, India, South East Asia and Oceania, the Middle East, and Africa. These markets, mainly emerging economies, represented 24% of the global total.
- Another driver of the sales decline was the war between Russia and Ukraine. The invasion in Ukraine, and the sanctions on Russia, had a big impact on their sales, especially in the case of Russia, which was the 11th largest light vehicle market in 2021, and became the 21st last year. Sales there dropped by 59%, or almost 1 million units.
- In contrast, the demand in India soared by 24% to a new record of 4.37 million units. The additional 851,000 units compared to 2021’s total, allowed India to outsell Japan and become the world’s third largest car market. Still, the total number of new vehicles sold per 1000 inhabitants is extremely low, at 3.1 units, the lowest result among the top 25 largest vehicle markets.
- In Latin America, the conditions improved thanks to a limited recovery in the Mexican market, and better conditions in Chile. In any case, this region, the largest among the emerging markets, still lags behind the developed world in terms of new cars per 1000 inhabitants, of only 7.7 units vs 16 units in China, 21 units in Europe, and 41 units in USA-Canada.
- The other bright spot in 2022 was the South-East Asia-Pacific region. Indonesia almost bet Australia as the largest market in this region with a double-digit growth. It was one of the consequences of a rebound of its economy, more international tourism, rising private investment, and strong consumer spending. Malaysia surpassed the 700,000-unit mark for the first time thanks to some tax exemptions policies during the year.
- Financial incentives and post-pandemic measures and benefits boosted the demand in the Middle East, where the Gulf Cooperation Council six countries made up 46% of the 2.75 million units sold. This region is due to play a more relevant role within the international automotive context as Saudi Arabia, the world’s 19th largest car market, aims to become an ev hub. The country’s sovereign wealth fund has recently acquired key stakes on companies like Lucid Group and Aston Martin, while it is expected its investments in EV production to reach $50 billion over the next decade.
- Finally, Africa’s volume increased by 5.5% to 1.15 million units driven by a 14% increase posted by the South African market, the region’s largest. Sales in this country represented 44% of the continent’s total, and were boosted by a recovery in the travel, tourism that buoyed the rental market. Northern Africa’s volume accounted for 42% of the continent’s total. Southern Africa represented 45%. Eastern, Central, and Western Africa accounted for 4.8%, 1.3%, and 6.7% of the total respectively.
These were the top 500 best-selling cars in 2022 (excludes Light Commercial Vehicles and Commercial Vans):
Source: official national car sales associations, local contacts, OEMs, estimations.
Thanks for the information. This is very interesting to see so many brands and models. Thanks for your hard work. This couldn’t have been easy.
Thank you for a brilliant list.
Most interesting and informative.
2 cars I thought would have made the list are the VW Polo sedan/Virtus and Opel Astra .
Thank you Anthony. The Polo sedan is almost dead: the Brazilian/South African version is quite old; and the Russian one has been discontinued due to the sanctions on Russia.
Thank youFelipe ,but what about the new version which is built in Brazil for South America and Latin America,as well as in India ,which is now being exported to South Africa ?
And what happened to the Opel Astra ???
Pingback: el tercer coche más vendido del mundo en 2022 » Noticias de hoy
Toyota’s sales volume is still strong 😆
Your posts are always interesting and informative!
Are you going to post Best-Selling Cars in Each Country in 2022? (almost all individual countries, not by continent and major countries)
I like all your posts, but that’s one of my favorites 🙂
From Your super fan in Korea
I’ll try! thanks
Pingback: The Third Best-selling Car In The World In 2022 - Bullfrag
Toyota are amazing ,look at its top volume models ,their global sales are amazing from the RAV , Corolla sedan and Camry in particular.
If they had more stocks ,their sales would have been much higher .
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium – analyst – Autosopedia
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium – analyst
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium – analyst - Joe Gordon Car Guy
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - Verve times
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - Bulletin Reporter
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - SwiftTelecast
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - planetcirculate
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - Bangjack
Pingback: テスラ モデル Y が世界のセールス 表彰台に躍り出る - アナリスト - JP NewsS
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - News Concerns
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - insideheadline
Pingback: Tesla Model Y Storms Onto Global Sales Podium - Analyst - India Best Entertainment News Portal | Latest Bollywood & Hollywood News
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - TodaysChronic.com
Pingback: Tesla Model Y storms onto global sales podium - analyst - verticallobby.com
Pingback: Toyota Corolla Cross 杀疯了，去年全球销量暴涨 221%，是全球第四好卖 SUV。 - automachi.com
Great effort in bringing out this statistics. Kudos to the team 👏
tank you merC
Pingback: Światowe bestsellery. 100 najpopularniejszych aut w 2022 roku
Pingback: Check out the world's top 10 best-selling cars of 2022 - Philippines News
Pingback: Voici les 10 voitures les plus vendues dans le monde : c'est historique, avec deux voitures électriques
Pingback: Tesla Model Y and Model 3 Among Top 10 Best-Selling Cars in the World in 2022 - Archyde
Pingback: Les 500 voitures les plus vendues dans le monde en 2022
Pingback: 500 best selling cars in the world in 2022 - ateica.com
Pingback: The 500 best-selling cars in the world in 2022 - gamekinda