Elon Musk anticipated it: Tesla products would become the world’s most popular cars in the near future. He was not wrong. Last year, the Tesla Model 3 was among the world’s top 10 best-selling cars according to my own research and data for 106 markets. They represented 99.32% of the total last year.
- Tesla Model 3, hits the top 10 and keeps climbing. It should hit the top 5 by the end of this year.
- Toyota RAV4 outsells the Corolla, and becomes the first ever SUV to achieve this position.
- Toyota Hilux gets more traction thanks to its strong position in many developing markets.
- Toyota Highlander gains more traction than ever thanks to the latest generation, also available in China.
- Tesla Model Y in top 20. It is expected to outsell the Model 3 by the end of this year.
- Wuling Hongguang Mini EV proves that an affordable EV can be a big success.
- Big American trucks. Will the electric versions help to boost sales?
- Volkswagen’s most iconic products: Jetta, Polo, Golf, Passat. Lack of availability, more competition, and SUV boom affected sales.
- Renault Clio, Chevrolet Equinox, Wuling Hongguang V.
Note: this ranking splits the models by bodytype and brand, with the exception of Opel/Vauxhall and Suzuki/Maruti.
The 106 markets include: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, North Macedonia, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen.
Special thanks to all the followers that shared the data or liaise with the right contact.